Saturday 10 January 2015

Seaside Erosion

These images show part of my current design process, which originated from some photographs I took at Crosby Beach, otherwise known as "Another Place" by Antony Gormley. "Another Place" consists of 100 cast-iron, life-size figures stretched along the coastline and into the sea.


The pieces explore man's relationship with nature - tested by tide and time. The "Crosby Iron Men" are a permanent feature on the beach, constantly exposed to all weather conditions, light and the ocean. They are ever-changing and at the sea's mercy, which has resulted in beautiful natural surfaces covering the cast-iron surface.

The Iron Men are spectacular as an installation, but what makes them inspiration to me is how the sea has made each one unique. They began as 100 identical sculptures and now each one is beautiful in its own right, constantly changing season by season and in different lights.

A close-up I took of one Iron Man's surface

Oxides and underglaze before the glaze firing

Bisque fired tile with texture and coloured slip

Oxides and underglaze added

The finished test tiles

The images above show some tests I've been working on and now intend to develop onto vessel forms. These experiments were all based on the close-up photograph of one of the Iron Men. I'm currently exploring ways to create eroded textures on ceramic surfaces using coloured slips, underglazes, oxides and glazes. I'm really excited about some of the techniques I've discovered this semester and can't wait to perfect these on my slip-cast forms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment