Monday 12 January 2015

Glaze, oxide and underglaze...

These are the pieces from my last post. They have now been glazed and covered in oxides to help create an decayed surface, inspired by erosion from the ocean. 


Generally, I'm really happy with these results. Some need a bit of refinement, especially with the (bright blue) cobalt oxide. I will definitely be using more copper oxide (green) to create more natural shades and to stop the blue being quite as striking. 




Opening a kiln in sometimes really nerve-wracking so I'm really happy to have some tests I'm pleased with, finally! I'm excited to create these surfaces on larger vessels and refine all of the techniques I've experimented with. 


If you're interested in adding colour to ceramic surfaces or just want to know more about the processes involved, here are some useful, informative links:  


1 comment:

  1. Hi Alice, I really love the beautiful decayed appearance you have managed to get. Did you only use copper oxide and cobalt oxide? And what temperature did you fire it to get that vibrancy?

    ReplyDelete