Monday 12 January 2015

Portobello Beach, Edinburgh

Recently, I spent a weekend in Edinburgh. We visited endless galleries as well as vintage and antique shops, so generally, the trip was really inspirational. 


Being a lover of the sea, I spent a morning at Portobello beach which is along the coast of the Firth of Forth. The beach has several prominent wooden groynes, which are designed to stop erosion. On these I found some fantastic, really beautiful natural surfaces - mainly rust and barnacles created by the ocean. 




I'm currently using these images in my design work and creating pieces inspired by them. The surfaces are so rich and interesting, I've got endless things to test and try out. Here's a sneak peak from my sketchbook, showing just a few ideas and how I've used the photographs to influence my designs. 


I'm really enjoying the design process, combining the eroded surfaces with my family photographs and trademark nostalgic imagery from the Great British seaside. I'm looking forward to doing more tests with slip, oxide and underglaze and getting some pieces made which were inspired by my visit to Scotland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment