Monday 12 January 2015

Rusty pots

A lot of my current designs are involving rusty ceramic surfaces which I create using slip, underglaze and a lot of iron oxide, which is essentially rust. These designs have been inspired by numerous photographs of rusty surfaces created by the sea - mainly from the Iron Men at Crosby beach. 



Here are some experiments I've been working on recently. I think they need more work than the pieces I've posted previously, which were inspired by barnacles. I'm not unhappy with these experiments but I can certainly see ways of improving them. 




At the moment, I'm finding the oxides to be a bit unpredictable and this has meant some of my results haven't come out quite as bold as I'd imagined. For instance, the piece above is a very toned down colour scheme compared to what I'd designed and anticipated. Anyone studying ceramics expects these kinds of hiccups, so thankfully these results haven't been too discouraging. 


Although some of the surfaces weren't what I originally had in mind, I've got ideas on how to improve the problems and will have a busy few weeks making more vessels and testing things such as heavier applications of slip and oxides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment